During this Covid-19 period, a lot has changed. It’s an era where a lot of businesses have shifted most of their services online, this also goes for recruitment processes.
Gone are the days of mailing your CV via postal or physically dropping it to the company you’re applying to. Nowadays, landing your first interview means first nailing your email application.
here are some tips while applying for a job via email;
1. Use a neutral e-mail address
Something as simple as your email address can turn off a recruiter. Your email address should be a variation of your real name, not a username or a nickname. Use periods hyphens or underscores for different variations. When you use an email address that is less-than-professional, you give the impression that not only are you treating your job search with an unprofessional attitude but that you may treat your next job the same way.
examples of a good email address johnsmith@, j.smith@
2. Use a short and accurate subject header
The subject line of your application is important as it quickly allows hiring managers to see what the email entails. Leaving this section empty is a risky affair since your email probably going to end up in a Spam mailbox or being deleted. Hiring managers receive so many emails for job positions, keeping your subject line as clear and concise as possible increases your chances of catching the attention of the viewer.
examples of good email subjects ;
- Managing Director Position
- JOB Code:1234 District Sales Manager – Your name
- Application for Customer Service Job
It’s important to note that the job advertisement sometimes informs applicants on how to write their email subject. Be keen always!
3. How to write the email
Introduction- Opening section, the reason for your email, and the position you’re applying for
I am writing to apply for the place/post/job/position of which I saw advertised….. I am particularly interested in applying for the job of ….
I would like to apply for the position/post …..advertised in …..
I am writing in connection with your advertisement in….for the place/post….of I am replying to an advertisement that appeared in …… for the post/job…..of
I am writing to inquire about the post advertised in yesterday’s Canarias7
I have read/seen your advertisement in today´s La Provincia and I would like to apply for the job/place/post/position of ….
My reason for writing is to apply for the job I saw advertised….
First Paragraph- Reference to our qualifications
- I feel I am well qualified for the position (and name your qualifications ).
- I have qualifications in …..
- I am in my final year of…
- I am graduated from …..
- I have also completed a year course in……
- I have also done an MBA….
- I have a certificate in…
- I can speak French……
- I hold certificates in ……
Second paragraph – We give details of our working experience mentioning the kind of job, the duties, etc…
- Some years ago/Last spring I worked as….
- I have had two years experience as ….
- After finishing university/graduating I spent …. working in….
- At the present moment, I am working for……
- I have also been employed by……
- For the last two years, I have been working as a…..
- I have been in charge of….. My duties included
Third paragraph: we mention our personal qualities that we consider important for the position we are applying for
- I am a very organized reliable person and I enjoy working with people
- I am a very sociable and hard working person
- I am able to cope with difficult situations.
- I am very easy to work with
- I am friendly, reliable, and work well under pressure. I am an enthusiastic and friendly person who enjoys working with people
Mention you have attached your CV or completed application form and that you are willing to attend an interview.
•I have attached a resume outlining my qualifications and experience and please contact me at any time to arrange for an interview.
•I have enclosed my CV and would be glad to attend an interview at any time convenient for you
•My CV with my qualifications and experience has been attached and I would be happy to attend an interview at any time convenient for you.
•I have enclosed my CV in the hope that you will consider my application.
Sign with your full name.
If you have a job title, include that in the line after your name.
If you have your own blog or website related to the content of the e-mail, include a link to that below your name. eg Digital Marketers
Proofread your message for content. Make sure you haven’t omitted any important details (or repeated yourself). Reading your email aloud or asking someone to proofread it is a great way to get a different perspective on what you’ve written.